New compact n-gauge layout help

29.01.2021 21:14 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 29.01.2021 22:51)
#1 New compact n-gauge layout help

Hi everyone,

Sorry for writing in English, I am American and have been living in The Netherlands for 8 years. I have traveled much throughout Germany and have gained inspiration from this site so thought I would ask for some help. I purchased an N-gauge DCC starter set by Fleischmann, a steam loco and a bunch of track to get started. As a kid, I had a large HO layout but never completed the scenery, and have been building scale RC model airplanes for 34 years so I have some background but consider myself a newbie with model railroading.

I would like to build a small layout roughly ~80cm x 150cm so that it is a manageable size. I've been studying layouts over the past month and have decided that I'd like:
- a main line for continuous running for at least 1 train
- a small siding for a freight train so I can play with some operations
- some elevation change.
- a German or Swiss Alps setting
- I want an idealistic wonderland type feel (I respect the operational and very realistic layouts but it's not for me), so not sure what epoch, maybe 1960s but again, for me it would be fun if it was a blend and timeless in a sense.
- I want to try to capture some of my special memories of Europe into elements of the scenery, such as a small through station, an alpine inn, etc

I have been having fun using AnyRail but find myself focusing on getting tacks to align and recreating layouts I find online, but I have yet to settle on what would make a good layout for me. In order to provide enough room for scenery in such a small layout, I think it's best to keep the center open so I'm thinking either a double loop or a folded eight (double lap I see it called too). Could then add a through station on the bottom middle, an industry with a siding on the left side center, and a small town on the right center. I'd consider a shadow yard too although maybe a couple passing tracks would be sufficient.

I've attached a couple completed layouts that I find inspirational to help convey the look I'm after.

Pictures deleted! Doubts about copyright! Administration

For the layout, I thought some of these layouts look good in that they allow continuous running plus some operations. I'm really looking for something that will keep my interest - I've always enjoyed driving two trains at the same time and switching their routes and passing when possible, but think some switching in the sidings would be fun and new for me. I feel that I'm a bit at a roadblock in finalizing my decision and would really appreciate any guidance, suggestions or ideas from the community.

Pictures deleted! Doubts about copyright! Administration

thank you,
Steve

Antworten

Beitrag melden
29.01.2021 22:11
#2 RE: New compact n-gauge layout help

Hi Steve -

Welcome!

You write:

Zitat
I've always enjoyed driving two trains at the same time and switching their routes and passing when possible, but think some switching in the sidings would be fun and new for me.

, which, from the views mainly taken in this forum, is sort of a problem: In the beginning, there wasn't your fun, but a purpose (for a train to run and be switched) - and from that purpose, there derives fun (hopefully!).

So, step 1 would be to find that purpose(s) - typically derived from a real-world area; but maybe not = created from your fantasy.

There's more to it - e.g. "running 2 trains" is not really possible if you are the driver/engineer, but that's another topic.

So: What is the purpose of your small (part of your) railroad-to-be?

Harald M.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
29.01.2021 22:36 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 29.01.2021 23:45)
#3 RE: New compact n-gauge layout help

Hello Steve,

welcome to the forum!

Zitat von insalacosm im Beitrag #1
- I want an idealistic wonderland type feel (I respect the operational and very realistic layouts but it's not for me), so not sure what epoch, maybe 1960s but again, for me it would be fun if it was a blend and timeless in a sense.

I think it is difficult to help you. We have a different approach! Prototype and Operation!
Zitat von insalacosm im Beitrag #1
I've attached a couple completed layouts that I find inspirational to help convey the look I'm after. ...

Please, if you don't have the copyright of a picture don't load it up! Respect Copyrights!
Use instead links!

Best regards

Hubert, Administration

"Sir, we are surrounded!" - "Perfect, so now we can attack in every direction!"

Antworten

Beitrag melden
30.01.2021 00:30 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 30.01.2021 10:44)
#4 RE: New compact n-gauge layout help

Thank you, Hubert and Harald, for the quick replies and my apologies for posting images without proper approval.

I can see how the questions about purpose will help guide me to a proper layout that makes sense and has purpose. Here's an attempt to define:
Setting: Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Autumn
Purpose 1: transferring people between Munich and Innsbruck via Garmisch-Partenkirchen Junction Station
Purpose 2: embarkment point for a scenic touristic train to Zugspitze and return
Purpose 3: Servicing a branch line to a saw mill that has a few sidings.

Here are a couple designs I drew up with AnyRail. It's not shown on the image but the station would be at the bottom inside the oval and the Saw Mill along the brach line sidings.

I have two daughters ages 14 and 11 who are happy to help where possible.

Thanks,
Steve

Antworten

Beitrag melden
30.01.2021 11:31 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 30.01.2021 22:44)
#5 RE: New compact n-gauge layout help

Hi Steve,

nice to meet you! Please allow me one question before I join the discussion: do you understand German language, so that we can refer to any older threads of ours in conversation with you? We are very opinionated people and have developed some strong attitudes, but over time, so that it's a bit difficult to present those in just some sentences. Still, let me recommend Otto's blue book, as we call it, as a starting point to your planning. (Otto Kurbjuweit: Anlagenplanung, you will find it easily on Amazon - linking did not work, sorry.) After reading it: if you then still insist in continuous running in a Spaghetti bowl layout (one of those terms of ours) maybe different Forums may be of better help for you.

Yet, your idea of a one track mainline through the Alps is thought-provoking indeed! And Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a good choice as a station. But (Germans always offer a but quickly): GAP Station is not exactly tiny, and the route to Zugspitze is narrow gauge. That sounds interesting, while it might be not: today the Zugspitzbahnhof enjoys just a railcar moving in and out, and in the past it has mostly been just a locomotive running around its trainset. I mean to say: no exchange of cars between mainline and branchline, thus no switching opportunity.

The idea of a spur to a sawmill is interesting: too often the Alps are considered just a massive barrier between Central and Southern Europe to pass. Yet, they are and have ever been a region with widely varied economic activity, including mining, heavy industry, farming, and forestry of course. Illustrating this aspect on a layout would add a nice touch.

At the very same time, the alps have a lot of electric power to offer through Hydropower plants, so railways typically use traction, overhead wire. Your steam engine will not represent the ordinary and typical (another one of our strong opinions: to show just that). Yet, there are several locomotives and cars typical for the Karwendelbahn, both German and Austrian, on offer...

Have a nice day of research and planning,
Reiner

Antworten

Beitrag melden
30.01.2021 12:17
#6 RE: New compact n-gauge layout help

Hi Reiner,

Thank you for the advice, very good points I need to consider. Unfortunately I do not speak German other than an ordering a Weißbier, but fortunately Google Chrome translates sites and I do have ability to do image to text translation as well.

I'll take a look at the book you suggest and do some more research on the site.

Freundliche Grüße,
Steve

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!